While genetics does play a role in hair growth, there are several other factors that come into play, the hair care products you are using for instance. And while there’s no magical formula for instant hair growth, there are steps you can take to boost the health and growth of your hair.
Here are 5 easy hair growth tips and steps you can easily incorporate into your routine to encourage and stimulate hair growth:
- Scalp Massage: Research has shown that scalp massage increases hair thickness by stretching the cells of hair follicles. This, in turn, stimulates the follicles to produce thicker hair. It’s also thought that a scalp massage accompanied by a hair growth serum may help dilate blood vessels beneath the skin, thereby encouraging hair growth. A study in 2016 involving nine men who received a 4-minute scalp massage each day for 24 weeks found that the men had thicker hair than at the start. And it feels good too!
Here’s how you can give yourself a traditional scalp massage at home to promote hair growth:
Step 1: Use the fingertips of both hands to apply light to medium pressure to your scalp, moving in small circles.
Step 2: Work your way across your scalp to cover all areas.
Step 3: Try to massage your scalp using your fingertips for at least 5 minutes at a time, several times a day.
- Tone down on the colouring: When we colour our hair, we are applying harsh chemicals on our hair to achieve our desired colours. Processes such as bleaching and dyeing can put unnecessary stress on the hair and cause unwanted damage to the scalp. This causes hair strands to break and also weakens the hair and follicles. By limiting the number of times we colour our hair with chemicals, we can definitely aid the hair growth process and help our hair to grow faster and longer.
- Cool the heat: Heat from hair curlers, hair dryers, and hair straighteners can damage your hair and cause breakage. While it is almost impossible to completely eliminate heat styling altogether, you may want to try limiting how often you use these tools. Decreasing the temperature of heated styling tools can also help reduce hair damage. Studies have also shown that using a heat protectant hair care product before using a heated styling tool may significantly reduce hair breakage. These heat treatments work by forming a protective barrier that helps prevent moisture loss when using heated tools.
- You are what you eat. Here’s a simple tip to make your hair grow faster. Research has shown that having and maintaining a well-balanced diet with adequate protein intake is important for optimal hair growth. Equally important is maintaining a healthy lifestyle - getting adequate rest and having regular exercises improves blood circulation throughout the entire body, and good blood circulation is said to help improve scalp health and boost hair growth!
- Nourishment: Nourish the hair and scalp with products that have been carefully formulated to encourage hair growth such as the Fayre Hair Growth Concentrate. Containing PRO-BIOTIN which nourishes hair follicles and proliferates cell metabolism for rapid hair growth, the Fayre Hair Growth Concentrate is a water-based hair growth serum that can be sprayed directly onto the scalp to effectively strengthen your scalp and promote hair growth. Tip: Maximise the results and massage the Fayre Hair Growth Concentrate into the scalp with the Fayre Wooden Paddle Brush - it feels great too!